Wednesday 1 July 2009

Enter Mystery Challenger and Sign in Please

Ok don't laugh but I've had a new hobby, kind of an addiction, for a while now....a guilty pleasure I don't really feel all that guilty about. Some people watch I love Lucy re-runs, some people secretly read Pippi Longstocking books and some people listen to the soundtrack of Mary Poppins to unwind after a stressful day. I spend my time on Youtube watching 1950's &60's writers, movie stars and musicians (basically the creme-de-le-creme of the society pages back then) on What's My Line. You're probably thinking "What the fuck?" and if you are, let me explain what I understand to be the general format: There is a panel of so-called experts who are blind folded and then a celebrity personality comes out and they ask them Yes/No questions to try to figure out who they are, in which the celebrity must adopt an accent to disguise their natural voise, especially if it's distinctive. It's a fairly simple concept and hugely entertaining and I bless the person/people who have uploaded these archives for us to view. You can find the likes of Alfred Hitchcock, Salvador Dali, Sue Lyon, Walt Disney, Ava Gardner, Julie Andrews, Lauren Becall, Natalie Wood, Eleanor Roosenvelt and William Holden, among others but my all time favourite has to be Elizabeth Taylor. Her comedic essence and her natural grace are just bought out so well in this clip...

No comments:

Post a Comment